The City of Colton is actively monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), at this time, all essential City services remain fully operational. All emergency crews are fully staffed and prepared to respond as necessary and using CDC recommended Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). The safety and well-being of our community is our top priority and the City is strongly encouraging all residents, employees and visitors to exercise responsible behavior and good personal hygiene.
The San Bernardino County Department of Public Health is the lead authority for all public health emergencies in our City and County. At this time, they report that the risk from COVID-19 to the general public remains low at this time, and no cases have been confirmed in the county. They are working closely with all jurisdictions including the California Department of Public Health and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to respond to recent reports of the COVID-19.
As noted, Colton facilities remain open and most programs will continue to operate, but based on guidance from the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, we want to share with you the steps we are taking to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus in our community.
Updates to Programs, Facilities and Events:
- Because the risk is greatest for senior citizens and individuals with existing health issues, effective Wednesday, March 18, Senior Programs and hot meal service will be suspended at the Hutton Center, through March 31. For those 60 and older, FSA will provide frozen meals for pick up, daily from 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. Monday – Friday.
- Facility and large picnic rentals for groups of 250 or more scheduled until March 31 will be cancelled or rescheduled, as advised by Governor Newsom and state public health officials.
- Pending reservations for smaller gatherings held in city facilities that do not allow social distancing of six feet per person, will be contacted to allow for reschedule or cancellation without cost to applicant.
- To encourage social distancing, fewer chairs and computers may be available at the Main and Luque Branch Library.
CANCELLED EVENTS & ACTIVITIES (Through March 31)
- Storytimes at the Library will move to Facebook Live events, instead of in person.
- Senior Computer Classes at the Villas
- 3/21 - Arrowhead Regional Medical Center – Annual 5K Run/Walk
- 4/1 – Census Day
- 4/4 – Colton Community Clean Up
- 4/11 – Egg Hunt & Earth Day Celebration
- Because the situation continues to evolve rapidly, we may reevaluate and decide to postpone or cancel additional programs in the future, if circumstances warrant. We will communicate any changes with you as we normally would.
Increased Sanitation Practices
- Deep clean sanitization of City facilities with a focus on gathering areas
- Providing hand sanitization stations in all City customer service areas
- Shared specific instructions with our employees on the importance of washing their hands and staying home if they feel sick.
- Installing signage at City facilities that promote safe health habits.
Health and Safety Reminders
- Practice social distancing. Avoid shaking hands and maintain a larger personal space between yourself and others. You may notice modifications to the way some programs are taught as we incorporate this practice.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with an alcohol content greater than 60%.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If no tissue is available, cough or sneeze into your sleeve.
- Stay home when you are sick. San Bernardino County recommends you remain home until you have no fever, cough or other respiratory symptoms for at least 72 hours after symptoms resolve.
The City is receiving daily reports on this subject from the State and County Health Department. Future events will be evaluated as guidance information is updated and status of events will be posted on the City website and social media. Feel free to contact us directly at 909 370 6153 with any other questions.